Wednesday, 5 August 2009

Site Grinder

Site Grinder is a very interesting tool for web designers. With this tool any .PSD file can be converted into HTML page without writing any code. I tried this tool and I found it quite useful for small corporate websites and portfolio sites. The improvements I would expect in this tool are:
  1. Styles should be in a separate CSS file rather than embedded into HTML
  2. More intuitive interface
  3. And easy help. After installing the software, I spent about 20 minutes to find basic information, a ‘Getting Started’ document would be useful for novice users. I would expect graphical representation for steps rather than plain text.
Cool thing about this tool is background positioning for button rollover. Instead of using multiple images for rollover it uses a single image and positions it by style. Following is the automatic generated style

#button a:hover {
background-position: -128px 0%;

Useful link:
http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder/support/whatarethebasicstepstogetfromaphotoshopdocumenttoawebsite.html